The

Temple Gallery

Established 1959

Three Handed Virgin (<em>Bogorodica Trojeručica</em>) - exhibited at the Temple Gallery, specialists in Russian icons

[ Click on the above image for a full screen view ]

UU039. Three Handed Virgin (Bogorodica Trojeručica)

Russian
19th century
31.2 x 26 cm (including frame: 48 x 38.3 cm)Click here to convert metric size to imperial

Provenance:  1. Temple Gallery

2. George Walker

George Walker was brought up in a pit village in West Cumberland but from an early age developed a passion for art and was a talented artist. He began a private collection in the 60's part of which was exhibited at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford.

£650 [Sold]Click here to convert price to USD or EUR

[ Click on any image for a larger view ]   Switch to full-screen mode

The Three Handed Virgin iconography first appeared in 8th century Syria at a time when icons were officially banned (iconoclasm). The great Syrian monk and defender of icons, Saint John of Damascus was imprisoned by the caliph of Damascus and had his right hand severed. After praying to the Virgin his hand was miraculously restored whereupon he composed the hymn In Thee Rejoiceth, still sung to this day, and attached a silver hand to an icon of the Mother of God. According to tradition, this icon eventually made its way to the Chilandari on Mount Athos where it became a popular subject for icon-painters (though the icon is more likely a 14th century copy, see fig. c). It later appeared in Russian in the late 17th century, after Patriarch Nikon visited the Chilandari Monastery and brought a copy of the Three Handed Virgin iconography back with him. The type then spread across Russia[1]. In Russian it is translated as Bogorodica Trojeručica.


Fig. c. Three Handed Virgin, circa 14th century, Chilandari Monastery, Mount Athos




Footnotes:-
1. Icons and Saints of the Eastern Orthodox Church, (Los Angeles, The J. Paul Getty Museum, 2004), p. 219

Detail Images