The

Temple Gallery

Established 1959

Virgin of the Sign - exhibited at the Temple Gallery, specialists in Russian icons

[ Click on the above image for a full screen view ]

YY026. Virgin of the Sign

Russian
19th century
31.5 x 26 cmClick here to convert metric size to imperial

£1,400Click here to convert price to USD or EUR

[ Click on any image for a larger view ]   Switch to full-screen mode



The image of the Virgin with hands raised in prayer is one of the oldest in Christian art; examples are found dating from 3rd century sarcophagi. The Latin term is ‘orans’ (literally meaning ‘praying’) and was common to both Pagans and Christian in Roman times. St. Basil the Great, writing in the 4th century, gave the Greek term ‘Platytera’ (‘Wider than Heaven’) to an image of the Virgin in the orans posture with a medallion of Christ at her breast. This term was used throughout Byzantium and Greeks still use it today. Since the 14th century, Russian churches place the image at the centre of the upper row on the icon screen (iconostasis) where the virgin is flanked by Old Testament prophets. This refers to the prophecies, particularly that of Isaiah: “Behold a Virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and this shall be a sign unto you.” Consequently the icon is known in Russia as “Znamenie” (‘of the Sign’). The icon was especially venerated in the ancient Grand Principality of Novgorod in Northern Russia, where an icon of the Sign, painted in the 12th century, was revered for its many miracles, including the defeat of enemy armies. That image is today once again in the Novgorod Sophia Cathedral.


Fig. 1. The Novgorod Znamenny Icon of the Mother of God. 12th C. St. Sophia Cathedral, Novgorod